6 Related issues for purposes of the review
6.1 Supporting and promoting some key themes
As indicated near the beginning of the paper, there is some benefit in aligning aspects of the review with the themes and priorities that have been adopted by Inclusion SA on the basis of what people with disability have previously identified as being important to them. The reviewer would therefore welcome specific comments or information about the extent to which the Act has assisted in promoting the following themes associated with disability inclusion:
- Inclusive communities for all
- Leadership and collaboration
- Accessible communities
- Learning and employment.
- To what extent has the Act assisted in promoting these themes and related priorities?
- Can you think of any major barriers to promoting and advancing these priorities that could be addressed by amendment of the Act?
6.2 Overall operation of Act
There are a number of criteria against which the overall operation of the Act can be assessed or measured. The following have been identified as possible measures for the purposes of the review. Any comments about some or all of these matters would assist in assessing the extent to which the Act has been effective and is achieving its purposes.
- Thinking about what can be done at the State and local level rather than by the Commonwealth government, what else could be reasonably done from a legislative perspective to increase the ability of people with disability to achieve their potential as equal citizens?
- Do you think that the enactment of the Disability Inclusion Act 2018, and the implementation of initiatives under the Act since its commencement, have made a significant impact on improving the lives of people with disability, especially when considering disability inclusion?
- Are issues relevant to people with disability being widely discussed and considered in the community as a result of activities conducted under the Act?
- Are policies, programs and other initiatives and actions working well for people with culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds?
- Is there anything that you would have expected to be in place by now on account of the enactment of the Act that has not been achieved to date? If so, please provide some details.
- How well do you rate, on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 1 being a low rating and 10 a high rating), the extent to which the Act is promoting the inclusion in the community of people with disability?
It is clear that a fundamental purpose of this legislation is to promote the development of strategies and policies across government that are relevant to the inclusion of people with disability.
- What else could be done to achieve greater coordination and collaboration across government in the area of disability inclusion?
6.3 General questions
- What is working well under the Act?
- What is not working as well as it should be?
- Are there any provisions, that have not been identified in the earlier parts of this paper, where greater clarity is required in relation to any responsibilities or reporting arrangements under the Act?
- Is there anything else that you consider is relevant to the terms of reference for this review? If so, please provide some information.