Inclusive SA

Complaints and support

    Inclusive SA wants to ensure that people living with disability are safe, supported and have access to the best care possible.

    Abuse and neglect of vulnerable people is a community, social, health and workforce issue. It is critical for us all to work together to recognise and fight it.

    If you are concerned about how you are being treated, or how someone you know is being treated, you can lodge a confidential complaint.

    Back to top

    What is abuse?

    Abuse can be deliberate or unintentional action, or lack of action, by a trusted person.

    The action (or lack of action) causes distress and/or harm to someone who may be vulnerable.

    It may also lead to lost or damaged property or assets.

    Back to top

    What does abuse look like?

    The behaviours and signs of abuse can include, but are not limited to, these forms.

    Physical abuse

    • being hit, strangled or injured on purpose
    • being restrained inappropriately.

    Emotional abuse and coercive control

    • intimidation
    • threats
    • humiliation
    • extortion
    • racial abuse
    • verbal abuse
    • isolating you from friends or family
    • tracking your movements
    • jealousy
    • controlling your money, phone, medicine or documents
    • psychological abuse and gaslighting.

    Sexual abuse

    • sexual activity with a child or another person who cannot consent
    • involvement in a sexual activity which is unwanted or not understood
    • unwanted sexual attention.


    • not providing food, clothing, attention or care
    • withholding aids or equipment (continence, walking, hearing, vision)
    • putting someone at risk of infection
    • failing to provide access to appropriate health or social care.

    Financial abuse

    • the theft or misuse of money, property or personal possessions
    • pressure in connection with wills, property or inheritance.

    Back to top

    How to make a complaint

    Are you concerned about how you or someone you know is being treated?

    If life is in danger, phone 000 (triple zero) to speak with police or ambulance services.

    For non-urgent police matters phone 131 444.

    One-Page Guide to Making a Report (PDF 53.8KB)

    Back to top

    Disability care, aged care and hospital complaints

    NDIS supports and services complaints

    NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission

    Phone 1800 035 544

    Aged care provider complaints

    Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission

    Phone 1800 951 822

    Hospital or health care service complaints

    Health and Community Services Complaints Commissioner (HCSCC)

    Phone 1800 232 007

    Back to top

    Abuse or neglect of an adult

    You can make a report about any adult over the age of 18 who may be vulnerable to abuse. If life is in danger, phone 000 (triple zero).

    Report abuse or get free advice about vulnerable adults

    Adult Safeguarding Unit - SA Health

    Phone 1800 372 310

    Back to top

    Help to make a complaint (advocacy groups)

    Advocacy Groups in South Australia

    Aged Rights Advocacy Service (ARAS)

    Phone 1800 700 600

    Disability Advocacy and Complaints Service of South Australia (DACSSA)

    Phone (08) 7122 6030

    Back to top

    National Relay Service and Interpreting Services

    The National Relay Service (NRS) can help you if you are Deaf or hard of hearing, or find it hard to speak to hearing people on the phone.

    The Translating and Interpreting Service is for people who do not speak English and for agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients.

    Contact National Relay Service and Interpreting Services

    National Relay Service

    Translating and Interpreting Service

    Phone 131 450

    Back to top

    This site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © DHS .

    Provided by:
    Department of Human Services
    Last Updated:
    26 Oct 2023
    Printed on:
    22 Feb 2024
    The Inclusive SA website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016