Has accessibility been considered for catering?
It is important to consider how catering will be made accessible. This will depend on many factors, including:
- catering to be provided and how menus will be made accessible
- what access requirements may be needed
- whether assistance will be needed to access the food and drink itself
- accessible places to eat
- providing accessible food counters and bendable straws.
Also, consider proximity to accessible toilets from the catering and eating locations.
Is the catering area accessible and is there a variety of meal options available?
- Food stalls or stations need to be sufficiently spaced to allow free movement for wheelchair and mobility aid users, and at an accessible height.
- Offer meals that are easy to eat, and ensure dietary requirements are catered for.
- Cutlery, paper serviettes and bendable straws should be provided, and ensure staff are available to assist if required.
- Place food at the edge of tables and not in the middle, to ensure it can be reached from a seated position.