Words matter — avoid outdated terms
Language is powerful. It can inspire. It can shape perceptions. And it can have a devastating impact if used incorrectly.
- Wheelchair-bound. A wheelchair-user is freed, not bound, by using a wheelchair
- Victim of…, suffers from…, suffering from the tragedy of…, afflicted with…
- Handicapped, retarded, spastic, mental, imbecile, birth defect/deformity
- Deaf mute, deaf and dumb, dumb, physically challenged, differently abled, handicapable
- Deficient, people with deficits, slow or slow learner, idiot, mongoloid
- Crippled or physically challenged
- Medical terms such as patient or invalid
- Has the mental age of…
- Emotional words of pity and charity. For example, unfortunate, pitiful
- Words of heroism and inspiration. For example, brave, special, super-determined, unstoppable.